For wine lovers, Southern Oregon's burgeoning wine region provides a great opportunity to discover new and numerous wines and wineries. The region includes the Applgate Valley, Illinois Valley, Rogue Valley and Umpqua Valley and features more than 60 wineries.
Jacksonville is at the heart of many of the region's wine trails and is ideally located for the numerous events and special wine tours that occur throughout the year. Spend a few hours or easily fill several days touring vineyards, sipping in tasting rooms or enjoying luncheon among the grapes. These wineries are small and unspoiled so you can enjoy relaxed settings and one-on-one discussions with wine makers and vineters.
In-town tasting rooms make it easy for you to experience local and regional wines within walking distance of TouVelle House.
South Stage Cellars features estate label as well as many other wines made exclusively from their Quail Run Vineyards' fruit by many of Oregon's finest winemakers.
Quady North is committed to small lot, minimally handled wines that reflect the diverse cool-climate vineyards in the region.
The Umpqua Valley Tasting Room is devoted to wines from River's Edge Winery and Bradley's Vineyards in Elkton, Oregon.
For comprehensive information, see Southern Oregon Winery Association's website.
Britt Music Festivals
Britt Festivals is the Pacific Northwest's premier open air performing arts festival that presents world-class artists in country, pop, folk, blues, jazz, world, bluegrass and classical music from June through September. Britt's performance venue is a naturally formed amphitheater set among majestic ponderosa pines and native madrones on the beautiful hillside estate of one of Jacksonville's pioneers, 19th Century photographer, orchardist and viticulturalist Peter Britt.
The setting is casual and relaxed. Many attendees arrive early to enjoy a picnic dinner and scenic views of the Rogue Valley during sunset. Bring your own picnic or select from an array of food and beverages options sold on site.
Tickets include reserved or lawn seating designations. Let us book your tickets and save you 10%. TouVelle House also happily provides Britt-approved chairs for lawn seating and blankets for guests.
The Classical Festival runs for three consecutive weekends in August and features an orchestra comprised of top musicians from all over the country. The orchestra is lead by a phenomenally talented and widely acclaimed conductor and composer, Teddy Abrams.
However, for the rest of the season there is a wonderful mix of performers playing in many genres. Most recently, performances included concerts from Head and the Heart, Gavin DeGraw, Pink Martini, Amos Lee, Peter Frampton, The Beach Boys, Joan Jett, Tori Amos among many others! At Britt you can be within 5 feet of your favorite performers! If you aren't that lucky, you might get a chance to say hello and get an autograph at the concession booth or be invited to dance on stage!
Southern Oregon is rich in natural beauty and home to some pretty amazing scenery. TouVelle House is an ideal launching spot for year 'round outdoor adventures.
- Jacksonville Woodland Trails and Forest Park Trails offer the highest concentration of walking trails in Oregon with over 20 miles of mapped paths. Experience a multitude of micro-climates, gold-mining sites and native wild flowers. Walking maps are available at TouVelle House.
- Hike the Table Rocks. Once a sanctuary for Takelma Indians, today these cliff-edged mesas near Medford are a haven for endangered wildflowers. Views from the cliffs extend across the Rogue River to the Siskiyous and the Cascades.
- Mt. Roxyann and Prescott Park over a moderate hike with stunning views of the Rogue Valley and surrounding peaks.
River Rafting / Fishing / Jetboat Tours ~
Whether you want to float lazily down the river plucking trout and salmon from the water or to zoom through at break-neck speed, there are a variety of outfitters and guides ready to share the majestic beauty of the Rogue River, Applegate River, Illinois River or Klamath River with you. Check out Travel Oregon's website to find the right adventure for you.
Crater Lake National Park ~
Surrounded by cliffs almost 2,000 feet high and boasting a picturesque island a violent volcanic past, Crater Lake is also home to hikes in old-growth forest and cross-country ski trips in the winter months. Many of the roads and facilities close during the winter, but the park is open and accessible all year long. (From TouVelle House, expect a 2-hour drive to the lake).
The National Park Service's page for Crater Lake offers current weather and road conditions.
Oregon Caves National Monument ~
Hike through remnants of old-growth coniferous forests above ground and enjoy an exquisite marble cave system below. Tours are available from late March through early November. (From TouVelle House, expect an easy 1.5 hour drive). Check here for additional information: Oregon Caves
Snow sports ~
- Mt. Ashland Ski Area is located outside of Ashland at the highest point in the Siskiyou Mountain Range. Enjoy skiing and snowboarding on 200 acres, with 5 chair lifts and 23 runs. Full rental shop (which offers ski and snowboard tuning), retail shop, and ski school. The historic lodge also features a full service cafe and bar.
- Diamond Lake Resort offers snowmobile rentals and routes, inner tube sledding park and snowshoe/cross-country ski rentals.
High-flying adventures ~
- Crater Lake Zipline Adventures
- Rogue Valley ZipLine
- Rogue Valley Hang Gliding and Paragliding Association